Skip to main content

I(n)diosyncrasies..

The mind is complex; The human mind is more complex; The Indian mind is the most complex!!

The other day, I was at the post office to (very obviously) post something. It was 3 noon. There were around ten people at this 'speed post' counter and this lady at the counter is stamping some money orders- she had about five of those to finish before my turn came. Me, with nine other people behind. I wait for her to finish this seemingly tedious job of hers. Ten minutes pass, and she's still on with this stamping business. Then, her mobile phone rings. ( Cigarettes, tobacco and mobile phones should strictly be banned in work places!) I was losing my patience already. She answers the call, '' Hello?". I was expecting, or rather, atleast hoping, that she'd hang up saying she was busy and would call back later or something like that. " Yeah, I made that curry today, without onions.." And she starts telling the other person on the line, the whole recipe of her "Menthi Koora". No comments!

Indians are superb at selling stuff. To see that, visit the nearest vegetable market!. I was in Rythu bazaar one fine sunday with my mother. ( Rythu bazaar was an initiative taken up by the former cheif minister, Chandra Babu Naidu where farmers sell their vegetables themselves without the help of middle-men) This young guy was selling beans there. His heap of beans had many spoilt ones. When someone asked him the price, this is what he says, " If you pick them, it's for Rs. 12. If I pick them, it's Rs. 8". Now, that's super clever. By the way, have you ever come across a sales agent or an insurance agent? You sure have! No comments again.

If you're an engineer, a doctor, or a chartered accountant, or an MBA, you're looked up to like you're this King/Queen of the world. But, if by luck, you do something that you really, genuinely love doing, like arts or anything of that sort, you're..well..the King/Queen of the aliens in Mars! And, if you "go abroad for higher studies", and study even at the worst grade university which is worse that the worst here, you're great! 'cuz you did you have a Foreign Graduation Certificate! And, NRIs! I'd reather not talk about that.

Now, there's American English and British English. There's Indian English too. And this is english spoken in true translation from people's respective native languages. DO NOT ASK FOR EXAMPLES. Plus, there's the variation of tone, body language and accent, especially while speaking English. My cousin was telling me about a store that she saw. This was what was written on it-''Debardmendal store"- You could take guesses on this if you wish to! Take a short trip, say, in a radius of 2 kilometres around your own house, and invariably you'll find something like that.

That reminds me of the traffic. And that reminds me again, I better not start about it. It's absolutely too much to take and I refuse to talk about it!And just the mention of Indian roads puts me off sometimes, so I rest here.

PS- Have you ever watched a typical Tamil or Telugu movie? Give it a shot. You'll have the time of your life! And, have you ever stopped at a roadside chat bhandar and eat your fill? Do it! and remember, the more unhyginic looking the place, the tastier it gets! And by the way, did you ever see old buildings and monuments? When I say old, I mean oooooolllllllldddddd! They look beautiful even when they're in ruins, trust me! Have you ever seen attended a pakka Indian wedding? It's the second brilliant lesson on Indian psychology, the first one being the Indian Roads. (That puts me off again)

"What to do? We're like that only!"

Comments

  1. "What to do? We're like that only!"- Loved it.

    So very true. I remember seeing this once, "Learn Practicle Spoken English"! XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey!

    hows u ?
    not at all in touch these days..
    i lost ur no.
    good that i remember the address of ur blog

    nyways nice article.. keep rocking...


    leave me an e-mail @ teja8@in.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. liked ur writing style.
    interesting glimpses of everyday life.
    ps. rofling at the bean seller's words! :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So, What Do You Think?

Popular posts from this blog

The Stepping Stones

They say, failure teaches us lessons- Lessons of endurance, lessons of not giving up, lessons of not worrying about it, and lessons of being happy. It teaches, but do we learn? You guessed it. I failed. And, for some reason this time, I’m kind of happy about it. I’m a CA student, by the way. I had written an exam a couple of months back, and got the news of failing it the second time a couple of days back. After working hard for oh-so-many days and going through all kinds of books, the result was failure. Anyway, I was attending/volunteering a students’ seminar when the results were released. At first, I was really shocked. Like, really really! I didn’t feel like talking to anybody, but I did want somebody to talk to me. However, just to inform all the ‘related parties’, I sent a text message saying ‘I flunked’. Different people gave different reactions. One thought (from my indifferent tone) that it didn’t really bother me, and said, “you anyway don’t seem like you’re
Dear whosoever came across my blog and decided to read on..for whatsoever reason, Today, as I was returning from an audit ( which is, by the way, very very (very) far from the limits of the city.. I wonder why they have their office there..anyway,) in a bus, I decided I would give my city a closer look than usual, instead of choosing the easier way of killing boredom, to sleep. The city has become a big city now.. and I mean a BIG city.. the airport apparently looks marvellous ( I haven't seen it yet, so the 'apparently' comes in). The roads are covered with what they call 'luxury cars' and huge malls and big branded stores and many many outlets of several kinds.. I'm impressed.. The city looks fancy and modishly illuminated with the neon (I guess) lights of the many many restaurants and malls and coffee bars and eat outs and every other kind of store or whatever, that I think I can't even name. For a while, my thinking tube was switched on and I gave it a

I know not..

I know not what life is, I know not death, I know not who I am, I don't remember a bit I live to see where my soul is, Die to see it go. I'm an ancient soul in this eye of God, And, I'm all alone. I look back at all my lives, And think, why? But I have to live, so I die. I try to recall all that happened, I see nothing..nobody..no relations. I want to know where I will go now, I want to go, I have no patience. I bid goodbye to all I had, all that life gave. I seep into the memories that'll never be.. and sink into my grave. Even now, I know not what life is, I know not death. I know not who I am, I don't remember a bit.