Skip to main content

The Stepping Stones

They say, failure teaches us lessons- Lessons of endurance, lessons of not giving up, lessons of not worrying about it, and lessons of being happy. It teaches, but do we learn?


You guessed it. I failed. And, for some reason this time, I’m kind of happy about it. I’m a CA student, by the way. I had written an exam a couple of months back, and got the news of failing it the second time a couple of days back. After working hard for oh-so-many days and going through all kinds of books, the result was failure. Anyway, I was attending/volunteering a students’ seminar when the results were released.


At first, I was really shocked. Like, really really! I didn’t feel like talking to anybody, but I did want somebody to talk to me. However, just to inform all the ‘related parties’, I sent a text message saying ‘I flunked’. Different people gave different reactions. One thought (from my indifferent tone) that it didn’t really bother me, and said, “you anyway don’t seem like you’re aggravated by it”. Aggravated? Yeah, right!. One said, “Big deal”. Another friend called and said “Aww…. You’re feeling bad?”


Then there was one call, at the beginning of which I said, “I don’t really want to talk right now. Can I call you later?” From the other side I heard this, “Look, I know you don’t want to talk. So, I’ll talk, you listen. Is that okay?....... See, everyone fails sometime or the other, you’re not the only one. I know failure makes us feel bad, but its inevitable. I’m sure you didn’t have your dinner yet. Go eat and get some sleep.”


Now this is one good thing about failing. You’ll never know who your best friends are till you fail (in whichever matter). The ones that cling on to you till they’re sure you are alright are the ones you should cling on to for life!

The results were actually out late in the night on the first of Feb. That was the first day of the seminar, and I wasn’t stupid to miss the next day just ‘cuz I flunked my exam. I was quite sure many others in the hall, that day, had flunked too. I was, of course, still upset about the result, and my eyes said it all (I had cried like an idiot the previous night). I didn’t talk to anybody till after the first session. When I spoke to people, starting with a gentle stupid smile, going on to become little tears that I was trying real hard to hide, I started asking myself, “Do I have to really feel that sad about it?”


I had already made quite a few friends there and a few had failed but they didn’t just forget all the work back-stage and sit back like me. That was a lesson. Lesson 1- The journey doesn’t stop just because there’s a stone on the road. Work/responsibility doesn’t end just because there’s failure. So, it’s our choice to go through failure or leave it behind.


One of the speakers at the seminar was Padmashree CA T. N. Manoharan who was a part of the Satyam Saga. He spoke about the hardships that came on the way and how their goal was to ensure that the thousands of lives that had gone upside down because of Satyam’s downfall had to be brought back to normal. They never gave up, ‘cuz their goal was clear. Lesson 2- Persistence. Never give up.


The next speaker was E Sarath Babu. The guy who owns ‘Food King’, serving thousand of people daily, was born as a slum dweller. He worked hard, grew up in the slums of Chennai, went to school, graduated from BITS, went to IIM to study, and now owns a business with a turnover in Crores. Lesson 3-Nothing’s impossible.


When he was younger, he says, they never had electricity in their hut, so he had to study under a kerosene lamp. His richer friends had electricity, light, fan, AC, everything. They could see everything in their house clearly, the photos on the wall, people coming in and going out, mirror, and all he could see under that dim kerosene lamp was his book. And he took this as his advantage over the others. Lesson 4- Be optimistic. Hurdles will come, situations will arise, but it is how you see them that matters.


He also said that when he was young, he had once noticed that his mother would sacrifice her food, so that her five children could eat their fill. That’s the reason, today he owns a food chain and he knows the value of his mother’s sacrifice. Lesson 5- Our parents do so much for us. They’re the greatest assets we can have. All we can do is give them back respect and loads of love. That’s anyway all they want from us.


That’s how the day after I failed was. Though it was meant to be the worst day of my life, I was happy. Glad I failed. Otherwise, I wouldn’t even have been in the mood to learn all those lessons of life that were presented before me. At the end of the day, I was so happy, I was in the best of my mood despite having failed one of the most important exams in one’s career, ‘cuz I had learnt some of the best out-of-syllabus lessons of my life!

Comments

  1. inspiring indeed!!
    i get to learn a lot out of this article . the lessons jus reminded me of few things i forgot a long time back .
    thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's heartening that you have learnt so many lessons from a failure. A person is a failure only if he or she doesn't learn any lessons from that failure. You have made the right approach that will lead to success. All the best!

    Your Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. very well written.I'm really proud of you!hope I too learn from this article!!!
    love,
    your sis

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will overcome... we will over come... one day... that day isn't far away from us, unless we believe in our convictions or the passion that we carry with excellence at "Everything", which we're intended to do, will actually get us to success and bingo! We're there... come on buddy... let's repair everything... Cheerio then...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lets get to.., The climb song (Miley cyrus)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All izzz..Well...Failures can Mould One from Ordinary to Extraordinary..... When Bad things happen to good people they become better not bitter.
    Trust You can guess Who I am..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, all the anonymous ones. If you leave your name or something like that, may be I'll feel a bit better about your comment.

    Thanks for your encouragement anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have learned so many wonderful things in that state of mind...I am very very proud of you. I am sure you are going to be successful with such amazing lessons you are learning in life.

    Lots of Love,
    Radhi pinni

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lalita, this is brilliant. Failure is indeed one of those times when you can gauge who is close to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Radhi Pinni: Thank you. Means a lot to me that you are proud of me. :)

    @Amit: Yeah, so true. There are indeed very few people who get into the "real friends" category, and its a great feeling when you actually get to know who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. well, very nicely written indeed. u know, we almost always know all this. given the understanding of rights and wrongs that we develop. the hard thing is to realize its importance and remember it every moment of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I saw you on the second day of the conference, I knew something was wrong. But then I thought you were tired and stuff. You were silently standing with your mum at the lunch area and then you dissapeared some where.. But then remember, ICAI is a place where you will hear many, many stories of failure. So get inspired from those stories to get back to life.

    Luv,
    Richika

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice blog and nicely written....all i can say is success and failure is not equal to passing ur CA exams and Failing CA exams....I have experienced it all pass , fail and also pass and fail (of course in both CA n CWA)....v r all just part of the number game decided by the institute..so if u have failed it may be not because of ur inefficiency there are many things which go in ICAI which are beyond our control....so keep trying till u get thru....success follows :) all the best for ur coming CA exams and also wish me the Same :)


    Regards,
    Phanindra Prakash

    ReplyDelete
  15. :) thank you. I used to think CA is just a walk in the park. My walk seems to be everlasting! :p

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi lalitha.. Very well written.. Infact i could relate few lessons which i had learnt when i flunked in CA exams..Thanks for sharing it..

    Regards
    Phani Kiran MVS

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So, What Do You Think?

Popular posts from this blog

Dear whosoever came across my blog and decided to read on..for whatsoever reason, Today, as I was returning from an audit ( which is, by the way, very very (very) far from the limits of the city.. I wonder why they have their office there..anyway,) in a bus, I decided I would give my city a closer look than usual, instead of choosing the easier way of killing boredom, to sleep. The city has become a big city now.. and I mean a BIG city.. the airport apparently looks marvellous ( I haven't seen it yet, so the 'apparently' comes in). The roads are covered with what they call 'luxury cars' and huge malls and big branded stores and many many outlets of several kinds.. I'm impressed.. The city looks fancy and modishly illuminated with the neon (I guess) lights of the many many restaurants and malls and coffee bars and eat outs and every other kind of store or whatever, that I think I can't even name. For a while, my thinking tube was switched on and I gave it a

I know not..

I know not what life is, I know not death, I know not who I am, I don't remember a bit I live to see where my soul is, Die to see it go. I'm an ancient soul in this eye of God, And, I'm all alone. I look back at all my lives, And think, why? But I have to live, so I die. I try to recall all that happened, I see nothing..nobody..no relations. I want to know where I will go now, I want to go, I have no patience. I bid goodbye to all I had, all that life gave. I seep into the memories that'll never be.. and sink into my grave. Even now, I know not what life is, I know not death. I know not who I am, I don't remember a bit.