Skip to main content

Child and Prejudice

Yesterday, while I was driving past Ameerpet, I saw a bunch of kids in rugged old clothes staring at the sky, amused. They had such wonderful, excited smiles, I couldn’t help but notice. When I saw what they were looking at, a big smile made place for itself on my face. It was a jet plane! Oh, as a kid, I used to get so excited seeing a jet leave its white trail in the blue sky. As a matter of fact, I still do.

That’s when it struck me how important childhood is. And a rush of thoughts came to mind as I rode till Parade Grounds.

(Ameerpet…

Child marriage and child labor are definitely wrong. They're wrong because they steal away a person’s childhood and make them form impressions of life that are hard to let go of; Because, for a child, innocence is most important and if that is lost, she can neither learn nor understand anything that life teaches. But how about making children go to so-called schools that make them study from 8AM to 8PM? Isn’t that like telling them, ‘I don’t care how much or what you learn, I just want to see good marks in your report card.’? Those schools don't even have a playground, forget about extra-curricular activities. You’re making the child lose the whole point of education and learning.

Once, when at a family gathering, one of our relatives was asked why she had not brought her son along, this is what she said: “Oh, what should I say? This boy is so irresponsible and immature; I just locked him up in the house so that he learns a lesson.” The kid, her son, by the way, is 7 years old. Seriously, I’m almost 21 and I don’t call myself a mature person. I’m still growing up; I’m still learning; and I still have so many more things about life to discover, and this woman expects a seven year old to be responsible? I mean, she’s the mother, she’s supposed to teach her children the right things in the right manner. And out of all alternatives, she finds locking up the kid alone at home the most appropriate? Now, you tell me who’s irresponsible and immature?

Some people don’t even wait for their children to learn things in the normal process of growing. They just want to dump all their (mostly useless) ideas on them and assume their job is done. For example, at another gathering, when my cousin(who is a 10 year old boy) and I were playing and I beat him, a relative comes and says to him, “You got beaten by a girl?” and laughs, pointing a finger at him. For heavens’ sake, I’m ten years older than him, I’ll obviously beat him! My poor cousin fell for this useless prejudice of girls being weaker then boys and got embarrassed. It’s one thing to bring up a boy like a boy; it’s absolutely another to bring up a boy like a man! This person I just told you about is the above-mentioned woman’s husband. I pity the children; but I sure hope they are more mature than their parents.

Of course, there’s always the argument that I’m not a mother and I wouldn’t know anything about bringing up children and all the challenges that come with it, but I can say one thing: I have awesome parents who have brought my sister and me up so wonderfully that it’s almost like the best lesson in parenting for us. In our home, it’s like four friends living together. Honestly.

…… Parade Grounds)

Now, you must be wondering why I was even thinking of all this.

Two reasons: One, everybody around me talks about generation gap and I have been stung by the generation bee! Seeing those children on the road following the jet plane's white tail, I was overwhelmed as it reminded me of my own childhood. Otherwise, have you seen the kids of this generation? They get amused watching dumb cartoon channels (Made in Japan, Made worse in India). But, all this was not about them. It was about people belonging to one or two generations above mine.

Two, Hyderabad roads! Read about it here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stepping Stones

They say, failure teaches us lessons- Lessons of endurance, lessons of not giving up, lessons of not worrying about it, and lessons of being happy. It teaches, but do we learn? You guessed it. I failed. And, for some reason this time, I’m kind of happy about it. I’m a CA student, by the way. I had written an exam a couple of months back, and got the news of failing it the second time a couple of days back. After working hard for oh-so-many days and going through all kinds of books, the result was failure. Anyway, I was attending/volunteering a students’ seminar when the results were released. At first, I was really shocked. Like, really really! I didn’t feel like talking to anybody, but I did want somebody to talk to me. However, just to inform all the ‘related parties’, I sent a text message saying ‘I flunked’. Different people gave different reactions. One thought (from my indifferent tone) that it didn’t really bother me, and said, “you anyway don’t seem like you’re
Dear whosoever came across my blog and decided to read on..for whatsoever reason, Today, as I was returning from an audit ( which is, by the way, very very (very) far from the limits of the city.. I wonder why they have their office there..anyway,) in a bus, I decided I would give my city a closer look than usual, instead of choosing the easier way of killing boredom, to sleep. The city has become a big city now.. and I mean a BIG city.. the airport apparently looks marvellous ( I haven't seen it yet, so the 'apparently' comes in). The roads are covered with what they call 'luxury cars' and huge malls and big branded stores and many many outlets of several kinds.. I'm impressed.. The city looks fancy and modishly illuminated with the neon (I guess) lights of the many many restaurants and malls and coffee bars and eat outs and every other kind of store or whatever, that I think I can't even name. For a while, my thinking tube was switched on and I gave it a

I know not..

I know not what life is, I know not death, I know not who I am, I don't remember a bit I live to see where my soul is, Die to see it go. I'm an ancient soul in this eye of God, And, I'm all alone. I look back at all my lives, And think, why? But I have to live, so I die. I try to recall all that happened, I see nothing..nobody..no relations. I want to know where I will go now, I want to go, I have no patience. I bid goodbye to all I had, all that life gave. I seep into the memories that'll never be.. and sink into my grave. Even now, I know not what life is, I know not death. I know not who I am, I don't remember a bit.