Skip to main content

I,...


It has been more than a year since I've made absolutely any contribution to my blog. So, if there is anybody, any single person in any corner of the world that follows/at least reads my blogs, I'm sorry for having kept you waiting. I don't quite know the exact reason why I haven't written anything. May be, it was just a writer's block or may be, I was so stuck in my life that I couldn't make time for it or even, may be, because I didn't find anything intriguing enough. One more reason and I think this is the real one, could be that I had started writing a short story around two years ago, and I never got to finish it. I just couldn't find the perfect ending. If you're a writer(!?!), you'd understand the disappointment. Whatever the reason was, I couldn't bring myself to write anything all these days. However, I do keep writing in my mind. All the time. More or less like J.D. from 'Scrubs'(A doc intern who narrates his own life to himself).

Anyway, the other day, a friend of mine wanted to borrow some write-ups of mine and he had asked me to pick up my best pieces and send to him. As I went through the stuff I had written during the past few years, I found myself utterly disappointed. What bad, immature writing! No, really. It almost traumatized me. I just didn't find anything I had written, over the past four-ish years, to be worth a read. I don't know if what I'm writing now still is, but I'm just giving it a shot.

This episode, if one may call it so, got me thinking. What I thought was good writing back then is now what I'm disappointed about. Something in me had changed over a span of two years and I didn't even realize it. And now, it all comes chasing me and threatening me to write something. Something, anything. May be two years from now, I will be disappointed again and think this was a horrible piece of writing. But, I have to do this, because I'm in a new pair of shoes now. And yes, they're biting me.

We’re all always looking out for answers to our infinite questions. Most do get answered, but one constant question that almost never gets answered is, "Who Am I?"(Not quite in a Jackie Chan way, though.). We just never seem to know what defines us. What we do, what we think, what we write..does that really define who we are? I'm not really sure. One day we are something, and years later, we are absolutely something else, totally distinct. Is this journey our definition? Or, in this quest of finding who we are, are we losing ourselves?

I always feel like I am giving in to life and its numerous twists and turns. And in that journey, what we call the roller-coaster, I’ve let myself twist and turn as per its demands. I have let it change me and my definition, if there ever was one. I have made myself become what life wants me to. I have to stop that. I have to define myself.


Who am I?

Am I just the canvas which life draws its pictures on?
Some beautiful, some gory!

Am I the river that flows as the road leads on?
A haunting poem or an endless story?

Who am I?

Am I the tiny little stone in the way of a stream,
Only waiting to be turned into a beautiful polished pebble?

Amidst the infinite ways of life,
Am I the follower or am I the rebel?

Who am I?

Will I ever know?


May be I never will. I don’t even know if that question has an answer. But I can’t wait all my life to just discover who I am and what I can do. Like I said, may be two years from now, I will read this post and be absolutely embarrassed by what I have written. I am taking the risk. But I will stop asking the question. It doesn’t matter anyway, because nobody has the answer and I can’t just leave it to my life to decide that for me. I will.

So, I've made my decision. I will stop discovering myself. Instead, I will invent and re-invent the person that I am. And, just like Edison, I will try and err till I finally find light!









Comments

  1. Hey Lalita,

    This is your friend Akhila.Do not remember when I saw ur blog first. It is in my blogs list and thats how I read this one :)

    You write so well. I did not know this talent of yours. Keep Going. write more often. All the best.

    And I think what defines us is our journey only ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see your blog updated. Enjoyed reading this one, as well.

    It might seem a little 'Christopher Nolan'-ish :D, personally, I think we are the choices we make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I still am in some rarely visited corners of your mind..

    How are you... long time it has been.

    Write me when you find time..

    and just felt like sayin this...

    some of the most interesting people I know ...still dont know what/who they are and what they want... (May not mean much.. but even so..)

    As always ..
    V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (001)302 415 5457. Do give it a try when you have some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. V... Thank you for stopping by. Will mail you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So, What Do You Think?

Popular posts from this blog

The Stepping Stones

They say, failure teaches us lessons- Lessons of endurance, lessons of not giving up, lessons of not worrying about it, and lessons of being happy. It teaches, but do we learn? You guessed it. I failed. And, for some reason this time, I’m kind of happy about it. I’m a CA student, by the way. I had written an exam a couple of months back, and got the news of failing it the second time a couple of days back. After working hard for oh-so-many days and going through all kinds of books, the result was failure. Anyway, I was attending/volunteering a students’ seminar when the results were released. At first, I was really shocked. Like, really really! I didn’t feel like talking to anybody, but I did want somebody to talk to me. However, just to inform all the ‘related parties’, I sent a text message saying ‘I flunked’. Different people gave different reactions. One thought (from my indifferent tone) that it didn’t really bother me, and said, “you anyway don’t seem like you’re
Dear whosoever came across my blog and decided to read on..for whatsoever reason, Today, as I was returning from an audit ( which is, by the way, very very (very) far from the limits of the city.. I wonder why they have their office there..anyway,) in a bus, I decided I would give my city a closer look than usual, instead of choosing the easier way of killing boredom, to sleep. The city has become a big city now.. and I mean a BIG city.. the airport apparently looks marvellous ( I haven't seen it yet, so the 'apparently' comes in). The roads are covered with what they call 'luxury cars' and huge malls and big branded stores and many many outlets of several kinds.. I'm impressed.. The city looks fancy and modishly illuminated with the neon (I guess) lights of the many many restaurants and malls and coffee bars and eat outs and every other kind of store or whatever, that I think I can't even name. For a while, my thinking tube was switched on and I gave it a

I know not..

I know not what life is, I know not death, I know not who I am, I don't remember a bit I live to see where my soul is, Die to see it go. I'm an ancient soul in this eye of God, And, I'm all alone. I look back at all my lives, And think, why? But I have to live, so I die. I try to recall all that happened, I see nothing..nobody..no relations. I want to know where I will go now, I want to go, I have no patience. I bid goodbye to all I had, all that life gave. I seep into the memories that'll never be.. and sink into my grave. Even now, I know not what life is, I know not death. I know not who I am, I don't remember a bit.